Connect with us

Varistor Troubles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by OldBilly, Feb 23, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. OldBilly

OldBilly

Feb 23, 2015
    Hello Everyone I'm new on here so apoloies for any gaffs. I have been away from electronics for many years, my last project was restoring a ww2 valve radio back in 95. so I am a bit disconnected from the scene as it were. My question is this I am restoring a Jaguar car from 1998 and part of its control system has failed. The part is like hens teeth to source so I dismantled it and examined the circuit board. The tracks etc look in good order however one component has a visable crack across the centre. A multi meter test shows it to be open circuit. The component has these markings TNR 5 h 62 and 470k.
    I believe this to be a metal oxide varistor but I cant find data for this particular spec, can anyone help with equivalent components or a source for the original. Any help much appreciated.

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

Can you upload a photo of the damaged part, and the circuit board - a picture of the whole board, and a closeup of the area around the damaged part. Then we'll have some idea what we're talking about!

Ask a Question