Connect with us

Variac repair/parts

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by DirkTheDaring, Apr 30, 2015.

1. DirkTheDaring

DirkTheDaring

Apr 28, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a salvaged Variac. :) I believe it's a Staco 122-0617. Here are a couple pics of it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It also came with a cover plate, but I left that off to help with my questions. It was wall mounted, and so came with no case. That is the first of my questions.
    It did not come with the panel (is there a proper term for this?) that allows you to hook up to an outlet (usually the one on the case). Is it safe to use it without this panel? Can I hook an outlet directly up to the wires?
    [​IMG]
    Also, I am interested in building a case for it, but I wanted to wait until I could find the parts. That leads me to my 2nd question. Is there parts available for these units? I have searched Google quite a bit, but either they're hard to find, or I'm not looking with the right keywords.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Take care.

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Very likely, no-one wants to encourage you to kill yourself in an electrical accident. Get an electrician to make your variac safe. :)

Ask a Question