Maker Pro
Maker Pro

variable resister/potentiometer behavior Xbox Elite Controller

motherboard1

Nov 5, 2019
I've been trying to repair an Xbox Elite Controller Stick drift issue. I've replaced the Potentiometer multiple times and the same issue results with each potentiometer but to varying degrees.

More detail.

I've only replaced the potentiometer correlating to the Up/Down motion since Left/Right still works perfectly.

So the first two replacements seemed to pull hard north and fail to give me 100% range really in either North or South. Stumbling through youtube videos hinted that the cheap pot meters don't reliably give the correct range.

On my 3rd attempt it looked like I made it. The replacement gives full range allowing me 100% 360 degrees but unfortunately, after about an hour of play I lost South range and the Stick drifts hard North.

This is the strange part. If I rest the controller, it will reliably return to perfect operation, but repeat the undesirable behavior after a half hour or so of being turned on. That's right, just by being powered on for a while sitting on the desk the stick will jump to about 50% north and just jutter there.

I know this because I had the Xbox Accessories app open to the Left Stick screen and was doing something else when I seen it start to move up. Continual experimenting for the past couple days shows that the pattern is reliable.

Is it possible that something to do with my soldering job could cause this? I have a good Hako unit that produces fast heat and I do my best to clean all the flux after soldering. My solder feels like it's good solder but I can't remember what brand it is, it came from a hardware store. I'm considering buying different solder but I don't want to waste money.

motherboard1

Nov 5, 2019
Nobody can give me a hint?

Can heat influence the resistance or voltage in a circuit ?

I've got some new solder on the way with recommendations from experienced users, my last hope.