Maker Pro
Maker Pro

VAR means what?

jalindarsule

Aug 20, 2009
I have LCD Monitor Power board there is one component was burn i can see on board is return VAR.
Its look like ceramic capacitor. Half the portion of component was burn remain half portion i can see the return only 0N471K. So anybody can tell me what was thuis component is it capacitor or resistor if i want to buy from market what i have to ask.

JSL

Aug 28, 2009
If it looks like a ceramic capacitor it probably is. Normally these are marked with 3 numbers, the first two value eg 47 and the third a multiplier in picofarads, in this case 470 pF. The K means +- 10%. I don't know about the ON or 0N but if it's burnt, replacing something that looks like a ceramic cap with a 470pF +- 10% probably won't hurt anything.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
its more likely to be a Metal Oxide Varistor, MOV. A voltage surge protection "resistor"
As the voltage increases the resistance drops allowing the excess volts to pass through it rather than the rest of the circuit. Obviously ..also because its resistance drops the current through that part of the cct increases and should blow the fuse.
In my experience the varistors often blow long before the fuse and they blow VERY spectactularly !! They are usually blue or yellow in colour and do look like large disc ceramic capacitors.

cheers
Dave

Last edited: