Connect with us

Values on old test equipment?

For Sale: Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by sverk, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. sverk

sverk

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi,
    I have a question about used old test equipment,
    like HP, Tectronix, Bruel & Kjaer, etc., from the 1960-80 periods:
    How can I get a sense of the values they may have, what they might sell for?
    Any listings?
    Any market places?
    Thanks,
    sverk

2. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    When I'm in the market for some piece of test equipment, I usually watch for it to appear on ebay. I'm patient, so sometimes I watch for a long time -- in one case, for over 5 years before I found the deal I wanted on an older piece of HP gear (I got a steal too!). Remember that something is worth what a seller is willing to take and, at the same time, what a buyer is willing to pay. Talk is cheap; the only real data are those from completed sales. Unfortunately, 30+ year old test gear is somewhat rare, so you may not get a reasonable sample to help you make estimates unless you're willing to wait.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    daddles is right. Sounds like you want to try to sell some gear. Check prices on ebay to see what each piece is worth. Bear in mind replacement parts are pretty expensive.
    Functioning instruments will command much higher prices than non-functioning ones.
    (If you can fix them before trying to sell them).

Ask a Question