Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Value of old tube amps

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Well here I go again. I got a pair of those old consoles and I didn't know what to do with them. So one of them was working fine and the other only a part of it worked. I stripped the bad one down to its guts and repaired a couple of tower speakers that had blown speakers---and I felt like a canabile... so what!X
OK now I got this other one and I don't want to destroy some kind of antique that still works!
Its a Zenith(nice box with closable speaker fronts) tuner and turntable. Any idea what I should do with it? I could make a new stage amp for my performances... it has 2 12" and 2 2.5" and a pair of 3" in it, and of course the amp. I don't think I would need the tuner. I know nothing about tube amps or these old 60's gadgets. Whats it worth? anybody want it or need the guts? wrong section of the site? How hard would it be to customize it into a stage amp? pics to follow.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Some old tube equipment has ENORMOUS value. Equally some has very little.

What devices (tubes) are in the output stage?

A quick Google of make/model will tell you everything you need to know.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sounds to me like you need to make the decision whether to use or sell it, or convert it for your stage performances.
Tube amps and vinyl are making a comeback because of sound quality.
I hear you about not destroying some kind of antique, but you have to make the tough decision about what you want to do with it.
'Converting' it for stage use? The Zenith's were made to last and be repairable, but they had limited wattage for in-home use. I kinda doubt you'd get the volume you'd want to fill a club if you had to crank the volume up.