Maker Pro
Maker Pro

value of learning vs value of meter

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
I need a capacitance meter and I have found some, that are what I want, for sale.

I also found a kit that makes one but it is not really what I want.

My situation is that I would like to keep my hobby a hobby, but my skills honed nicely.

I think I want to buy one because the kit doesn't hardly measure anything over about 20uf, and I think I should have something that will do a bit more.

Is it possible to alter a DIY meter so that it will read some thing more like 20,000uf without alot of trouble?
What would I have to do, to upgrade it? Do you think a hobbiest could do it?

I don't think its possible because it uses a chip instead of just components.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M8-1602-LCD...TA-/302262143330?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Firstly, a chip is a component.

Secondly, look in eBay for "mega328 capacitance". These go up to 100,000uF.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Modifying a hobby kit (not the most accurate meter in the first place) to extend its range by 50x (to reach 10,000 uF, a reasonable top end for hobby circuits) is not trivial (even if we had the kit schematic, which you did not share), and you won't be able to trust the results because you will have no way to calibrate it. Buy the meter and use it to experiment on something else.

ak

ag273n

Nov 24, 2016
that kit is too much of a good thing.. notice the inductance range is very wide... for $14 that is sooo cheap, i would greatly doubt its accuracy. For it to have such a wide range, it means it will need to have large increments/step in its measurements.

Is it possible to alter a DIY meter so that it will read some thing more like 20,000uf without alot of trouble?
hardly... you'll need 1.) the schematic, 2.) understand the function of each component it has. 3.) know what are the limits of the components

What would I have to do, to upgrade it? Do you think a hobbiest could do it?
yes, a hobbiest can, but it'll need so much... - a long list to get there. if you want to start, you need an oscilloscope - this will help you a lot

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
for $14 that is sooo cheap, i would greatly doubt its accuracy. For it to have such a wide range, it means it will need to have large increments/step in its measurement

Did you look at what it is?

Generally speaking, whilst they're not precision instruments, they'll measure a capacitor's value with enough accuracy for most purposes.

They don't have ranges as such. Internally they either make an RC oscillator or use a constant current and do some dv/dt measurements.

ag273n

Nov 24, 2016
the range that i meant depended on the Chip that counts the oscillation on its tank circuit - like whats the highest frequency it can still count the oscillations.