Connect with us

UTP CCA vs UTP CU cables

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mozobata, Jul 6, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mozobata

mozobata

Jul 6, 2017
    I need to transfer data over about 20m from a DS18B20(this is the datesheet of
    ds18b20
    ) to a Arduino board, I was wondering if I could use the much cheaper CCA cable?

Also can you please inform me in which cases must I go for the CU cable. The differences between the two types are obvious but I still do not know in which cases I should use CU type. I have found some information in which is stated that CU, due to it's lower resistance, is required in case the load is draining significant current. What about frequency?

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Standard CAT5 cable will do - it's about the cheapest type of cable you can purchase these days anyway. I avoid CCA only for the potential soldering issues but if you crimp the connections then feel free to use it.

Personally I'd use a two-core overall screened cable for a 20m run IF it was subject to external influences - other cables in vicinity etc. The frequency of operation is sub-MHz so a 20m run isn't too problematic.

Ask a Question