Connect with us

UT61E multimeter - milliamps function not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by seanspotatobusiness, Dec 1, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    I have a UNI-T UT61E multimeter and the mA function was working earlier today but now it isn't and I'm not sure why. The fuse installed is 500 mA instead of the original 1 A but that doesn't compromise protection and that fuse is not blown and I'm pretty sure I haven't subject it to more than 1 A anyway. It's too small so I made it fit with tin foil but I have made sure that this isn't an issue by passing current through it with my bench power supply. When I try to get a reading on the mA scale I get 0 instead of, say, 300 mA. The A function still works.

Is there anything I can test?

[​IMG]

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The first think I'd check is the function/range switch(es). The switch contacts may be dirty.

3. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Probably not a good idea. Don't think much of that aluminium foil either.

Are you sure you have the leads connected to the right terminals?

4. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the function and range switches operate as normal. I've had this multimeter only a couple of months and don't use it in a particularly dirty environment.

Thanks for your response also. It was a brilliant idea! There was a resistor in series. The foil is not the problem. Like I said it worked earlier today and indeed has worked for weeks or months with the aluminium foil. It could be argued that the foil will affect readngs but it could not be argued that it will suddenly cause all readings to be 0.000 mA!

Yes, the leads are connected to the correct terminals.

5. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    It's started working again today; I don't know why. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to post to this thread.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    DAMN!
    I wish some of my repairs would go like that.
    Take it apart, put it back together, and it's fixed!

7. elebish

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
    Check all low value resistors for proper value.

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

it was probably the wriggling of the Al foil GET RID OF IT !!!! do a proper repair and use the correct fuse

Ask a Question