Maker Pro
Maker Pro

UT61E multimeter - milliamps function not working

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I have a UNI-T UT61E multimeter and the mA function was working earlier today but now it isn't and I'm not sure why. The fuse installed is 500 mA instead of the original 1 A but that doesn't compromise protection and that fuse is not blown and I'm pretty sure I haven't subject it to more than 1 A anyway. It's too small so I made it fit with tin foil but I have made sure that this isn't an issue by passing current through it with my bench power supply. When I try to get a reading on the mA scale I get 0 instead of, say, 300 mA. The A function still works.

Is there anything I can test?

IHMyPR7.png

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
The first think I'd check is the function/range switch(es). The switch contacts may be dirty.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I have made sure that this isn't an issue by passing current through it with my bench power supply.

Probably not a good idea. Don't think much of that aluminium foil either.

Are you sure you have the leads connected to the right terminals?

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
The first think I'd check is the function/range switch(es). The switch contacts may be dirty.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the function and range switches operate as normal. I've had this multimeter only a couple of months and don't use it in a particularly dirty environment.

Probably not a good idea. Don't think much of that aluminium foil either.

Are you sure you have the leads connected to the right terminals?

Thanks for your response also. It was a brilliant idea! There was a resistor in series. The foil is not the problem. Like I said it worked earlier today and indeed has worked for weeks or months with the aluminium foil. It could be argued that the foil will affect readngs but it could not be argued that it will suddenly cause all readings to be 0.000 mA!

Yes, the leads are connected to the correct terminals.

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
It's started working again today; I don't know why. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to post to this thread.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
DAMN!
I wish some of my repairs would go like that.
Take it apart, put it back together, and it's fixed!

elebish

Aug 16, 2013
Check all low value resistors for proper value.