Connect with us

Using Transistor as Momentary Switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by sall, May 16, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. sall

sall

Jan 29, 2010
    I am trying to figure out how to use a transistor to operate as a momentary switch. Right now I am using a relay, a cap and a resistor. I would just like to be able to make the circuit a bit smaller than using a relay.

TIA! :D

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, so you need to explain more.

What will cause this "switch " to close?

Do you want it to stay closed for a brief period then open again?

What is this period?

What is the load that you are controlling?

3. sall

sall

Jan 29, 2010
    Yes, I apologize for the lack of information and hasty post. I have a relay setup so that it receives signal from 12V switched wiring in my vehicle and in turn acts as a momentary switch to power on my laptop any time the ignition is in accessories/run.

[​IMG]

I would like to do something similar with a transistor if possible to reduce the size of the circuit, but am unsure how to accomplish. I am planning on combining this along with other small circuits on one board for a carpc project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    by the time you have a transistor or 2 and associated components on a cct board and then mount that board in an insulated case its probably going to end up being bigger in size than the relay system you are currently using.

Dave

Ask a Question