Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Using all four amplifiers in an LM324

Einstein Jr.

Oct 21, 2014
I would like to use the LM324 quad amp for a project. For maximum amplification I would like to use all four amplifiers. How should I wire it so that the output of the first amp will be fed into the next for all four. What is being amplified is a condenser electret microphone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Einstein Jr.

Oct 21, 2014
....also besides quantity of amps is there a difference between the amplifier part of the LM386 and LM324 as far as quality goes?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The LM386 is a power amplifier designed to drive a speaker. The LM324 is a quad operational amplifier.

You would not use the LM386 as an operational amplifier. You would not use an LM324 to drive a speaker.

Each opamp in an LM324 is capable of high ampliciation, it is typically unnecessary to cascade them all to get the needed gain. In fact, if you need to do that you are getting into the area where an instrumentation amplifier would be a better choice.

Lets look at use of an LM324 as a microphone preamplifier, not designed to driver a speaker.

The LM324 falls to unity gain at 1.2MHz. This number is usually stated as GBP or gain bandwith product, because the gain times the frequency cannot exceed this number. So we have gain 1 at 1.2Mhz which means we can have a gain of 10 at 120KHz or 100 at 12 KHz.

At the upper end of the audio spectrum, the gain would be 1.2M / 20K or 60.

Typical output of an electret microphone is 5mV. So a gain of 60 would get us to 300mV. Another gain of 60 would be 18V. Nominal audio line level is about 1Vp-p. So a gain of 200 is required to get from an electret microphone to line level. You cannot achieve this across the whole audio spectrum with 1 of the opamps in an LM324, but you can easily with 2, each having a gain of about 14.

You could take that output of that and feed it into an LM386 with a volume control to drive a speaker from the microphone.

That said, the LM324 is not the best choice for audio. TL084 would be a better choice, though it would require dual supplies.

Note also, that if you use an LM324 and single supply, you would want to use an inverting amplifier and tie the + input to Vcc / 2 and use input and output coupling capacitors to block the DC levels.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You would not use the LM396 as an operational amplifier. You would not use an LM384 to drive a speaker

did you do some typo's in there Bob ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
For very high gain whilst maintaining bandwidth, you may wish to cascade amplifiers. However that's not entirely common.

A condenser electret microphone typically has an inbuilt jfet to amplify the output. Are you using a bare naked capacitive element (that would be odd)?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The 5mV figure I have is for the typical one with the FET amp. You need a gain of about 200 to get it to line level.

Bob

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
For very high gain whilst maintaining bandwidth, you may wish to cascade amplifiers. However that's not entirely common.

In most cases, a combination of two (or even three opamps) in form of a "composite amplifier" is used to increase the bandwidth of the resulting circuit.
I thappens not very often that "maximum amplification" is the reason for combining amplifiers. But why not?
However, if you are going to cascade some amplifiers it is essential to apply negative feedback for each amplifier separately. That means: Fixed closed-loop gain for each amplöification unit.
That means: Don`t put some opamp units in series and provide overall feedback because this would cause instability.
As another recommendation: Use coupling capacitors (if allowed with respect to the lower frequency limit).
Otherwise, the amplified dc offset of the 1st stage is amplified by the 2nd stage and so on...

Einstein Jr.

Oct 21, 2014
Ok; thankyou for the info, I honestly don't know much about these chips. Besides the LM386 does anyone know of a good single power supply amplifier?

LvW

Apr 12, 2014
Ok; thankyou for the info, I honestly don't know much about these chips. Besides the LM386 does anyone know of a good single power supply amplifier?
In principle, you can operate each opamp with a single power supply. But you must know that in this case - for linear amplification purposes - a special circuitry is necessary to bias the opamp properly at 50% of the supply voltage, approximately. Collect some information on single supply operation.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you want low voltage (5V or less) opamps that operate from rail to rail, Microchip has a great selection.

Bob

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
If you want low voltage (5V or less) opamps that operate from rail to rail, Microchip has a great selection.
Also, if you're not tightly budget-constrained, Linear Technology and Maxim. And Texas Instruments too. But I agree that Microchip is a great place to start.