Connect with us

Using a short circuit as a switch.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BigD, Jun 16, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BigD

    BigD

    1
    0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Probably a really naive question about short circuits.

    In a battery powered circuit to light a LED, if instead of using a switch I have a "short circuit" that essentially bypasses the LED as the path of least resistance will the battery (3v coin) end up running out of power even if the wire for the "short circuit" is quite thick so low resistance?
     
  2. duke37

    duke37

    5,364
    769
    Jan 9, 2011
    The battery will be discharged - I hope you are rich!

    The thickness of wire will not make much difference, the current will be limited by the battery internal resistance. If you try this with a lead/acid batery, all sorts of exciting things can happen.
     
  3. CocaCola

    CocaCola

    3,635
    5
    Apr 7, 2012
    Not only exciting but potentially lethal and can easily cause bodily harm... Anyone that has experience with say a car battery exploding (that has half a brain) doesn't want to revisit that episode again... Nothing like acid being spewed in all directions, burning everything it contacts including you...
     
  4. Mongrel Shark

    Mongrel Shark

    260
    18
    Jun 6, 2012
    I blew a button cell a few weeks back. Messing around with a IDY charger I am working on.
    Melted a few alligator leads in the process. I'm lucky the neodymium magnets I was using to hold my jumper's on the terminals didn't go too. Was hot enough to melt through 2mm of acrylic plastic and de-magnatise the magnets..


    I wouldn't recommend blowing up a button cell either......


    I bet it get's hot to touch when the light is out........


    A button cell might not have enough juice to pop when shorted out. But I can promise you AA's do.


    A short circuit is not a switch. It's just an accident (which may involve Injury, damage to property, and possibly lawsuits relating to the the former.) waiting to happen.

    You would want to be very rich indeed.
     
  5. Harry.k

    Harry.k

    9
    0
    Jun 12, 2012
    LoL. Why not throw in some nitroglycerine while you're at it. The last time i blew an AA just for kicks, it gave me a scar on the right hand.
     
  6. Mongrel Shark

    Mongrel Shark

    260
    18
    Jun 6, 2012
    Last time I tried to make Nitro it went over 40c and destroyed a perfectly good bathtub. I'll need more ice next time.
     
  7. Harry.k

    Harry.k

    9
    0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I synthesise it in my uncle's cold storage :)
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-