Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USING A CELLPHONE AS REMOTE CONTROL

ghense

Dec 12, 2013
Dear Forum members am just a beginner in the electronics field and would like to realise a project whereby my cell phone will perform the job of a remote control from any distance

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The keywords are "any distance".
Imho you have two options:

1) Use another cellphone (or GSM module) as a receiver. Use SMS that you send from your cellphone to the receiver and have the receiver trigger the appropriate actions depending on the content of the SMS.

2) Setup a sever connected to the internet. Setup a webpage on the server that contains controls which when activated activate the appropriate reaction on the computer. Use your cellphone's internet browser to access the server's webpage and turn the controls on or off as required.

3) For shorter distances you might use the WIFI function of the cellphone to achieve the same effect without having to pay for the internet access.

In any case I'd consider this an advanced project. May I recommend that you start by building up basic knowledge in electronics before you entertain such a project?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As a worry-wart from the States, I'm a little leery of anybody wanting to learn how
to use a cell-phone as a 'remote control', or rather, remote 'detonator'.
Just my 2-cents worth.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
They could find that easily enough.

Bob

ghense

Dec 12, 2013
thanks alot moderator what of the option of using wifi on the mobile phone?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I agree BobK, I just would like it better, if it wasn't from us, here.