Connect with us

use of American AC POWER ADAPTER in France?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Jun 22, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest


    This is pretty simple. I have a Samsung AC Adapter for my laptop
    computer. I am using it for the first time in France and have been
    plugging it into a standard 50 watt transformer to convert the
    electricity from 220 to 110.

    I notice however, that printed on the computer's AC Adapter is:

    Input: 100-120V/200-240V ~ 1.6/0.8A 50/60Hz
    Output: 16V ------3.75A

    Is this designed to be able to be plugged in directly in both the U.S.
    and in Europe?

    I'd like to be using the one transformer that I have for something
    else, so if I don't need to use it with my computer, that would be
    great. But, I don't want to plug in the computer's power supply
    directly without being sure that it will accept the 220v (obviously).

    Any info would be appreciated.

  2. Tom Biasi

    Tom Biasi Guest

    Your supply was definitely designed to run on 220/50 or 120/60. How you make
    the change is the question. Is there another power cord that fits the Euro
    Is there a switch on the unit?
  3. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    It's simpler than you realize, I'm thinking :)

    From what you say about the label, it's electrically good to go. Plug it
    in directly (If it's physically compatible with french style sockets...
    You may need some sort of adapter - blades to pins, pin/blade
    position/number/orientation, etc - for that part), and it should "just
  4. Guest

    Yes, I will have to get a plug converter, blades to pins as you say.
    But otherwise, electrically, its good to go? This is what I suspected,
    but not knowing anything about electricity I thought I'd ask.

    Thanks for your response!

  5. Guest

    I think all I need is a plug adapter so that I can just plug it in (see
    Don Bruder's response). There is no switch on the computer, but it
    looks as thought the AC adapter will accept either 110 or 220 and
    convert as necessary.

    There is no other power cord. The adapter has two cords, one exiting
    at each end; one terminates in the plug and the other is inserted into
    the computer. It appears that both are permanently joined to the

    I'm going to try it and hope that nothing fries.

  6. There exist power adapters with a range from 90 to 250 V input, so if
    it is marked on the unit it should work.
  7. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Before I just plugged it in, I'd look very carefully for a changeover
    switch, somewhere near where the mains power cord enters the brick.
    If it's there, it'd be a little rectangular recess with a slider at
    the bottom, with a slot in the slider so you can switch it (it's
    a slide switch with the knob lopped off) with a tiny screwdriver.

    It should also be marked 110 on one side and 220 on the other (or
    something to indicate the range). If there really is nothing like
    this, and it really is clearly marked like you said before, then
    it should work. Worst case, you'd only blow the fuse anyway. :)

    Good Luck!
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day