Connect with us

Usb solar charger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by coreydebruin, Oct 24, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. coreydebruin

coreydebruin

Oct 24, 2012
    hi,
    ok so, I'm currently trying to create a Solar charger for my Huawei U8180i Phone
    I would be using a 5W (12v) solar panel, the battery is 3.7v 1200mAh (4.4W),
    now I was thinking of sticking the solar panel to the case and making a usb port somehow and attaching the solar panel to it then just using the phone's usb charger with that...
    my concern however is I may overload the circuit due to the voltage difference, so I need someone to tell me if that's actually safe or if I need to change the voltage or change something else, and if so how I should go about it.

thanks,
    Corey

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Get hold of one of the many USB adapters for cigarette lighter sockets.

These efficiently convert a voltage near 12V to 5V and have the required USB connection.

If you look in the right place you'll find them for a couple of bucks each including freight.

Ask a Question