Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB signal generator device to stop the screen saver

Evan

Dec 18, 2015
I have a bunch of monitors and I spend a lot of time right clicking mouses to stop the screen saver from popping up. Is there a simple device I can build and hook up to the USB cord to automatically generate a right click signal every 5 minutes when there is no activity detected from the mouse and or keyboard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
The most simple solution that I can think up is to hack a mouse. Open up the casing, find the momentary switch for the left click. Replace that with transistor and connect the base or gate to an Arduino or AVR and set a program to emit a pulse every x minutes.

*Edit: See below for a far more straightforward approach. I assumed that you could not access the software side of things. See below.

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I have a bunch of monitors and I spend allot of time right clicking mouses to stop the screen saver from popping up. Is there a simple device I can build and hook up to the USB cord to automatically generate a right click signal every 5 minutes when there is no activity detected from the mouse and or keyboard?
Hardware solution or software?

I can think of 2 software solutions right away.

1) Simply turn off the screensaver.
2) Install something like 'GlovePie', 'AutoHotKey', or 'AutoIt' (All 3 can be programmed to do almost anything you want with keyboard and mouse.

Other than that... you would need to build a USB device and develop your own drivers that can detect and communicate that the machine is 'idle'... or you will end up right-clicking if the machine is idle or not.
You could build a USB device that you plug the keyboard and mouse into and eves-drop on the communication ... but this would be quite code intensive to sniff data and inject mouse clicks... What kind of programming experience do you have?

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I'm with Gryd3. The simplest way is to turn off the screen save or sleep settings. Sometimes these settings are hidden under advanced settings.
If that is not an option, You can salvage a mouse (as Lavaguava said) or keyboard controller and tap into it with a timer circuit.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I'm with Gryd3. The simplest way is to turn off the screen save or sleep settings. Sometimes these settings are hidden under advanced settings.
If that is not an option, You can salvage a mouse or keyboard controller and tap into it with a timer circuit.
Thanks Tha Fios... (I still can't get used to that name)
That would certainly be an easy alternative... but the op had requested it only happens when there is no activity...
To add on to your suggestion though, perhaps the op can use the 'Ctrl' button instead of right-click... it probably has the least amount of impact to randomly press while someone is working on their computer.

every 5 minutes when there is no activity detected from the mouse and or keyboard?
If you want to make hardware to do this... the hardest part will be determining if there is no activity on the keyboard or mouse.
If you want software to do this, simply change a setting, or make a small script or program that does anything from a right-click to a simple (Move mouse 1 pixel in any direction)

If you are using windows, it will be hidden in the advanced section of 'Power Options' ... you need to 'Edit Plan Settings' of the active plan you are using, then you need to change advanced power settings, This will let you control the time it takes to turn off HDDs, the screen, and finally putting the computer to sleep.

If you don't have administrator access to do this with the machines, then I can't help you any further. Many companies place voery short times on the 'sleep' or 'screen off' times to force the machine to prompt for a password. This could circumvent the policies in place as your work place.
If you have administrator access... then surely, you would want to just change the timeout values here instead of building custom hardware which may or may not require additional custom made drivers, or run the risk of interfering with normal keyboard / mouse behaviour if the device taps into them.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Thanks Tha Fios... (I still can't get used to that name)
That would certainly be an easy alternative... but the op had requested it only happens when there is no activity...
To add on to your suggestion though, perhaps the op can use the 'Ctrl' button instead of right-click... it probably has the least amount of impact to randomly press while someone is working
Sorry, John might be easier.

Oh, missed the "no activity" part. But it may not be a requirement to make it work.

The Ctrl key would work, but it may cause problems if shortcut keys are used. For example, if Esc or Tab key was pushed at same time. A unused function key or the PrtSc key might be a better option.

But yes, the best option would be software or simply modifying the power saving options.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
IMHO a hardware approach falls into the back door category. This issue should be tackled with a software approach.

Chris