Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB question

mdifilippo

Mar 13, 2013
I am starting work on a new project and have a question; I am looking to have a circuit with 3 USB ports on it. A Mini USB Female, a Mini USB Male, and a USB A Female. Here is what I am hoping to do;
create a circuit that will allow me to plug in a mini usb cable (via the mini usb female) then plug in any usb cable (say for an iphone) into the usb a female connector, and the last of it the USB mini male will be plugged into yet another one of these circuits. So my question is can I just wire all 3 USB ports in series?

Thank you for any help!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
No, you need a USB hub to isolate each of the ports... Unless you are just using them as a power ports only, then you can wire them parallel with a 3A or greater power supply so that each port gets sufficient power...

mdifilippo

Mar 13, 2013
Thank you CocaCola! Yes I would like data also passed. So I need to basically create a 2 port USB Hub in order to make it work?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thank you CocaCola! Yes I would like data also passed. So I need to basically create a 2 port USB Hub in order to make it work?

yup --- probably cheaper and much easier to buy one even a 4 port hub is under $20

Dave

mdifilippo

Mar 13, 2013
yup --- probably cheaper and much easier to buy one even a 4 port hub is under $20

Dave

That is what I am noticing but this will be going into a project that I plan to open up to others so if I could get the boards made up it'd be great. I am trying to find information now.