Connect with us

USB mic project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bndxu, Feb 12, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bndxu

bndxu

Feb 12, 2011
    I found me a couple old hands free sets for those really old powerful "cell phones" going to be thrown away at work. Tonight i plugged one of the "speakers" into my mic socket in my computer since i recognized it was a mono jack and it worked!, Just very quietly. My first thought was to take a USB cable and connect it to the speaker and cable using the USB as a sort of phantom power in order to boost the volume of it and do some home recording. Then i got the idea of converting it into a USB mic. Seemed like a good idea at the time but now i can't find a single USB mic schematic out there. Does anyone happen to have a schematic that would allow me to swap out the mono cable for a USB running though some perfboard? I assume this will require a preamp "chip"?. Is there a way to bypass the need for one of these and use a few transistors and capacitors? I would have to order one from elsewhere since I'm in a small town without any hobby shop. It is the weekend and i pretty much have nothing to do on weekends. If you haven't guessed yet I'm a relative noob to electronics but eager to learn.
    Any help much appreciated:)

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    A speaker or an ear set can be used as a mike but has a low signal level due to their low impedance. This can be fixed with a transformer or an extra pre-amp.

A USB-mike would need a mike pre-amp, an A/D converter, and a programmed chip to encode the digital audio stream into a digital USB data stream format.
    Then you'd need a USB driver & software in the computer to interpret the USB data.

Ask a Question