Maker Pro

USB Input switch

Nerdtastic

Aug 24, 2013
Last edited:

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Nerdtastic, welcome to EP. Yes, Instructables is not my favorite tech site. Two of the pins on a USB port are GND (-) and Power (+5V). I don't see that you need to switch these lines. At most you will only have to switch Power (+5V), Data(+) and Data(-). This will require only a 3PDT switch. On the other hand if GND and Power are hard wired you will only need to switch Data(+) and Data(-). This will only require a DPDT switch which are much easier to find. I would also be looking for a miniature model instead of that big honking power switch the author used.

Does anyone else see a reason why he can't switch the data lines only?

Chris

Last edited:

Nerdtastic

Aug 24, 2013
Would it be that much harder to reverse this? As in, one female input to two male ports that gets switched between them?

And I also found this:
diodeored.gif

I got it from this site here which is more of what I was looking for.
http://cappels.org/dproj/USB_share/USB_Printer_Sharing_Switch Project.html

Looks like I can just connect the GND and Power lines, but how would I wire the data lines onto the DPDT switch?
Would I just solder one one set of wires and then solder on the other side in line with the first ones?

Thanks

Last edited:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
I would make all three USB ports Female. This way you can use standard USB Male to Male cables to plug into all three ports.

By the way, I've reconsidered hard wiring the +5V power line. The reason being is simply power waste. If GND and Power are always connected you would be powering the unused USB device constantly. So, unless you have a reason why you would want to power two USB devices simultaniously I think the +5V Power line should also be switched. This will require a 3PDT switch. GND (-) will be hard wired.

If you have a reason to power two devices simulatniously let us know. If you do you can't exceed the 500mA max USB rating divided between two devices.

Can you read a schematic? If yes, I'll draw it for you.

Chris

Nerdtastic

Aug 24, 2013
Well, I don't really need to power two USB ports, I just need to have one USB port that gets switched between two computers. How would I wire a 3PDT switch?
I can reasonably read simple schematics.

Thanks

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
And I also found this:
diodeored.gif

Thanks

I missed this schematic and it's a different ball of wax. If we're talking switching between two USB devices then what I've said in my second post (3PDT) would be valid. The device in your link switches your single USB device between two PC's. Is this what you want? If so my second post would still be valid because it could be used to switch between two PC's or 2 USB devices.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
We doubled on that last exchange.

Dick Cappel is well respected. He's a well known electronics/computer author. His design should work fine.

Pigtails: I don't like them much either but it does prevent making a mistake by plugging an input to a PC and the output into another PC. This would not be good. ;) That said and if you label your box (PC1_In, PC2_In, USB Out) you could use three Female USB Panel Jacks.

Chris

Nerdtastic

Aug 24, 2013
OK, so I wire the GND's together and then have a 3PDT switch switching the VBUS and the 2 data lines. The two inputs and outputs will both be female USB jacks.
On the bottom of the #PDT switch there are 9 inputs and I have NO IDEA which wires go where. 3PDT wiring guide just leaves me more confused.

Thanks for the help

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Does this help?

Chris

Attachments

• SW3PDTPINOUT.JPG
    SW3PDTPINOUT.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 201

Nerdtastic

Aug 24, 2013
Does this help?

Chris

Thanks, it helps somewhat. So would I attach the input USB's data connections to 5 and 8 + the VBUS line to 2. Then the two output data lines to 4-7 and 6-9 + the VBUS on 1-3 respectively?

Sorry, I have never really gotten into doing electronic projects on my own without a kit and a guide :)

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Hopefully I'll find time to draw it for you tomorrow.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Here ya go. Please read the notes on the schematic. All connectors are USB-Female panel jacks.

Chris

Attachments

• SwUsb.JPG
    SwUsb.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 160

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Your very welcome.

Good luck.

Chris