Connect with us

USB functions with PIC18F4550

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by Mike Charlie, Feb 17, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mike Charlie

Mike Charlie

Feb 17, 2013
    It is my understanding that this pic chip has usb wiring ability. Does this mean i can create a very cheap burner, or that it can comunicate to a computer?

In the case of the cheap burner being possible could i implement the chip into the circuit and then program it later (that's just an example, would probably use it to give the device updates in real life)?

In the case of the communication would it be possible to wire it up to a flash drive and all of the data that is put into chip to then be past into the flash drive or does it need direct access to a computer?

Or is it a case of being able to do both at different times i.e. being able to update it when i develop updates and then reconnect the flash drive to the system to continue giving information.

Thanks in advance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A cheap burner? What do you mean by "burner"?

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    CD or DVD possibly?

Bob

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Probably means skipping a programmer and using the on board USB to program the chip... I'm too lazy to confirm right now (don't know all PIC chip function off hand) but I believe to do this you would still need to burn a boot loader to the chip enabling the USB function to write to the chip...

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I thought he might mean "programmer" but that has no real connection with the USB capability -- although he might not realise that.

Ask a Question