Maker Pro
Maker Pro

USB Extension

piczim

Dec 13, 2012
I would like to extened my printer USB Cable, What kind of cableshouldbe used and what length amIable to extened it by

Thanks

Rod

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
use a usb male to usb female... there are various lengths.
the issue however isthe length. as wire is a conductor not a superconductor it has resistance. the further the distance the more drop in voltage and therefor the signals get lost. A trick you can use to extend this is to buy a USB hub powered. this adds more voltage.
also you can buy printers with wifi built in, so the printer can be up to 100metres away in that case.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
How long? $ for $ it's probably cheaper to purchase one, they carry them at the local Dollar Tree (dollar store) by me, 3 foot long or so for $1... The only drawback to the dollar store one I have used is that some USB devices complaint that it's not USB 2.0 compliant, others work fine...

But, there are others to be found all over Ebay if you want a pre-done one...

If you want to build your own, I would use CAT 5 or better network cable... As for the length you can go many feet, but the longer the run you will face potential communication issues... 16 feet is the max specified for USB 2.0, you can go longer but like the cheap USB cable I suggested above you might find performance dropping to USB 1.0 or it might not work at all... Another option if you want to go further is to simply get a USB to wireless network adapter, these can be had on Ebay for under $20 usually and work OK...

Last edited: