Connect with us

USB booster circuit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Nick90, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Nick90

Nick90

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi,

Ok I'm working on a project that is powered by USB, I have the majority of it working, however, I want to be able to power a CFL bulb from USB. I was looking into Joule Thief circuits and managed to get a CFL to run from a single AA battery, I have tried running it from USB for a short time and it is fairly bright, however the transistor gets very hot and I'm guessing it's not designed for 5V.

Basically I want to know is there a circuit that can help boost CFL's brightness and are there any pre-built circuits I could buy?

I know it will not ever run at full brightness, I just want to make it as bright as possible. And I know LED would be a better choice, but I want to try CFLs.

Thanks

2. Nick90

Nick90

Dec 1, 2012
  3. Yoa01

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
    A booster like that would work, but really any simple amplifier would work. If you can find a transistor made for somewhat high specs, it should run fine without any heat problems. Course, you could also just put a heatsink on your transistor and you're set!

4. Nick90

Nick90

Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks mate.

If i was to swap some components in my joule thief circuit, how would i make the light as bright as possible?

5. Yoa01

Yoa01

Jun 18, 2012
    Well I would need to see your circuit first :)

Ask a Question