Connect with us

USB and battery powered light with cree q5 bulb.

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Mmystere68, Nov 16, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mmystere68

Mmystere68

Nov 9, 2015
    ok. hope i can explain this as simple as possible.
    I have a cree q5 bulb that i got from a flashlight(picture of flashlight attached) which is damaged. the bulb is fine though....
    i want to use this bulb as a lamp powered by both usb and battery(li-ion 3.7v). here's how i want it to work:
    there should be port(s) on the lamp casing( i will make a custom case out of wood) .

USB POWERED:
    when i plug a usb cable in it, lamp turns on but doesn't charge battery(only to power the lamp) and when i unplug the lamp it turns off.

BATTERY POWERED:
    then i can use it with battery....just flip a switch and it turns on.

Problems so far:
    i cant figure out a way how to charge the battery when it is inside.
    note:- i dont want lamp to turn on when charging. the battery is salvaged from a broken mp4 player.

how do i go to build the circuit and how many volts/current are needed to charge the li-ion battery? ? what are the additional materials needed ?
    i have wires,switches, usb ports(2 male and 1 female),bunch of other LED's. i can get resistors from an old broken TV...

Additional features i thought to add in this lamp:
    be able to change brightness of the lamp. i read i could do it by variating the voltage using a potentiometer.( click the link to check the ebay item)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
  3. Mmystere68

Mmystere68

Nov 9, 2015
Ask a Question