Connect with us

Usa Device Repair From Using Uk Voltage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Triiickie, Mar 11, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Triiickie


    Mar 11, 2013

    I am not an electrician and would like to ask the community a question regarding a recently purchased from from the United States.

    I purchased a uSqueez leg massager from the USA:

    When returning to the UK, it was plugged via a standard adaptor you can buy (why it would let you do this I really don't know) and when doing so, it work for 3 seconds then a popping sound occurred. I then realised that I needed a step down converter form the USA 110v to the UK 230v. the product was expensive at $299 and it cannot be returned to the USA as it is not covered under warantee.

    Does this mean the product is totally useless now or is there a way I can fix this? Not sure if there may be an internal fuse box I could replace, or request a part from the manufacturer and get an electrician to replace? I really hope a fix is available and any recommneded electicians would be most grateful.

    Any help would be greatly received.
  2. duke37


    Jan 9, 2011
    You will need it looked at by someone who knows. It is often difficult to open the case to see the works.

    If you are lucky, there will be an input fuse, if not so lucky, the transformer may be burned out and if even less lucky, the circuitry could be fried.

    You will not be able to get a part untill you have found the fault(s). A circiut diagram (US schematic) would be a great help.
  3. CocaCola


    Apr 7, 2012
    They sell these adapters because many devices are both 110V and 220V compatible without modification... But, a vast majority are not...
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day