Connect with us

US - UK Step down transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tallicaaa, Jan 15, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tallicaaa


    Jan 15, 2014
    Hello all,

    I have a problem whereas I have bought 2 kitchen appliances from the U.S. One is a food blender and the other is a juicer - two basic appliance I would have thought.

    The power input specifications state:
    Juicer: 120V 60Hz 400W
    Blender: 120V 60Hz 450W

    Can someone tell me what sort of transformer I need to run these appliances? The step down transformers I have been looking at for 500W are really expensive and really big!

    Would something like this work:

    Have I messed up here guys?
  2. duke37


    Jan 9, 2011
    Yes, you have messed up but at least, you have not blown up the devices and then asked me to mend them !

    The Maplin transformer is nowhere near big enough for the job. You will need to get a 500W transformer and it should be in a suitable case with appropriate plugs and sockets. You may be able to get a second hand industrial transformer, you can then run your jack hammer off it.

    Depending on the type of motor, it may be possible to use phase angle control but if it has speed control, then there will be a conflict.
  3. tallicaaa


    Jan 15, 2014
    thanks Duke. I do have a big, yellow, industrial one (which you use for power tools) with the funny plugs on it. Is this what you mean?
  4. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    Hard to tell from that explanation.

    You'd have to tell us the specs of the device (which should be printed on it somewhere).
  5. tallicaaa


    Jan 15, 2014
    Yes, of course - sorry :)

    Anyway, I think I know what he is suggesting so I will look into it from there.

    I just didn't expect these 'simple' looking appliances to require such a big transformer. Seems like massive overkill to an electrical novice like me!
  6. shumifan50


    Jan 16, 2014
    I don't know if this will work for you, but a friend of mine that moved to RSA from USA used some big capacitors over the power that effecively halves(almost) the voltage. As your devices are primarily motors needing power, this might be a solution. Unfortunately I never asked him what the capacitance was that he used; the caps obviously have to be 230V or better.
  7. duke37


    Jan 9, 2011
    The juicer and blender have motors i8nside whch will have fans to stir up the air and aid cooling. A transformer is normally naturally cooled so will need a much bigger surface area for the same power.

    I have a multiway US socket strip which you are welcome to if this helps. The plugs can then be left on the devices.

    The industrial transformer will probably do as long as the colour does not clash with your complextion.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day