Maker Pro
Maker Pro

US to AUS power adaptor?

mn206

Sep 27, 2011
Hi I have a problem and I hope someone can help me!

I purchased an electronic device on ebay that comes from the US (I live in Australia). it came with an adapter that was not attached directly to the device but you have to plug it in to the device etc. The input for this adaptor reads AC 120V 60Hz 9w and output DC 12V 400mA. Unfortunately I tried to plug the adaptor into the wall using a normal US to AUS wall transformer and it burned out after 5 seconds of use. So I'm wondering - does that mean the whole device is ruined? or can I simply replace the adaptor it came with? And if so - what kind of wall transformer would I have to use to plug it in to ensure it does not burn out again? I am kind of upset as I spent a lot of money on this

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, depending on the adapter, it may have been putting out 24V for a short while.

Is it a heavy(ish) adapter (almost always for a single voltage, but may have switches for other voltages), or one or the light ones (often give a range of input voltages, say 90-260VAC)? My guess is the former.

In any case, find yourself another adapter rated for 12V at 400mA or more, with the same plug. The old unit should tell you the polarity, but centre (or tip) is usually positive).

Plug in the new adapter and see what happens.

In the future, remember that things rated for 120V should not be plugged in to 240V. It's baaaad, m'kay.

You can get special adapters that convert from 240V to 110V, but often it's better to source a new power supply -- unless is' really odd)

mn206

Sep 27, 2011
Well, depending on the adapter, it may have been putting out 24V for a short while.

Is it a heavy(ish) adapter (almost always for a single voltage, but may have switches for other voltages), or one or the light ones (often give a range of input voltages, say 90-260VAC)? My guess is the former.

In any case, find yourself another adapter rated for 12V at 400mA or more, with the same plug. The old unit should tell you the polarity, but centre (or tip) is usually positive).

Plug in the new adapter and see what happens.

In the future, remember that things rated for 120V should not be plugged in to 240V. It's baaaad, m'kay.

You can get special adapters that convert from 240V to 110V, but often it's better to source a new power supply -- unless is' really odd)

I'm really a newbie at this kind of stuff - I don't know anything, really. The wall transformer I plugged it into just has "10A 250V" written on it.. no idea what that means. But are you suggesting that I replace the adaptor it came with and find a proper wall transformer for it? I'm just so confused sorry. And do you have any idea where I could find such a thing?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Good advice.