Connect with us

UPS Failure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Peter Bournias, Feb 6, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Peter Bournias

Peter Bournias

Feb 6, 2016
    Hello all,

I have 2 generic brand UPS's and after a few years they have both failed to support my pc's even though I change the batteries every 2 years.
    They worked very well for my requirements. I measured the voltage on the battery (the block type 12v 7a) and it is about 13.3v.
    I have taken apart one UPS as I read somewhere that cheaper brand UPS often kill the batteries by over-charging them to quickly but there are no pots on the board to adjust any voltages.

Here is what the board looks like.
    http://www.bournias.net/images/electronics/IMG_20160206_105855.jpg

http://www.bournias.net/images/electronics/IMG_20160206_110049.jpg

I am wondering if it is worth changing any of the parts to save these instead of buying new ones?

2. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    That board looks like something designed and manufactured in the 80's...
    You need a service manual or at least a schematic to fix it.

3. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Peter ,

Looking at the date codes of the components used, I also am concurring in seeing a 80-81'ish vintage of initial manufacture, as a 90-91'sh time frame would have typically seen more complete total design functions in a chip utilization.

To find out for sure how hard the battery is hit by charging, you could unplug a battery connection and series insert a VOM or DVM in its DC current range, to thereby have yourself a currrent passage monitor to evaluate as to its charging state level.

The very-very best UPS work on a condition of working continually to generate and supply the systems plugged in load, and battery back up only comes into play at that point of disruption or erraticity of AC line power input.

The minor UPS works in the condition of its only being activated at that same mentioned point of disruption or erraticity of AC line power input.

Is there consideration of having more power hungry loads on the line , by equipment upgrades in the interim years
    Battery run time could vary between 20 minutes on equipment used many years ago to 6 minutes on a modern technology equipment load.

Just my initial musings . . . . . .

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
Ask a Question