Maker Pro
Maker Pro

UPS designing. where to start?

qaseemiqbal

Jul 1, 2010
Hi,

I have decided to design a UPS for my home. I am aiming for 2kVA UPS. Now the thing is where should I start. Is there any book for ups out there. I have made quite a search on the internet but most of the data I found was either out-dated or incomprehensible. So, if I am willing to design 2kVA 12 V DC to 220 VAC, where can I find the necessary documents and information.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What sort of stuff like this have you designed and built previously?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, what power electronics have you designed and built?

Failing that, what electronic devices of any sort?

qaseemiqbal

Jul 1, 2010
amplifiers, digital logic based circuits, microcontroller based projects, a bit of work on FPGA, and some other stuff

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK. I'd really start on something smaller. I'd also presume you're not doing this to save money.

I'd also break down the UPS into its components and design each one separately.

At a minimum these are battery charger, battery system, & inverter. However for higher power units there are other things to consider (not least of which is how you switch from mains to inverter power and back again).

What battery technology are you using? Will this be a standby UPS or an on-line UPS? How will you monitor battery capacity? How will you deal with overload? Do you need to drive non-resistive loads (the answer is probably yes)? What battery voltage will you use?