Connect with us

Upload code from pic

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by shlomo1234, Jul 9, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shlomo1234

shlomo1234

Jun 20, 2016
    Hello,
    For my hobby Im doing some programing in Picmicro, mostly Pic16F87XA, Pic18FXX2.
    To do so Im using mplab and Pickit3.

I have an old controll board of airconditioner with mcu Pic16F72.
    My question is,
    Is it Possible To read the code? and how to do so (upload the code to Mplab)?

Thanks alot

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The microcontroller may have the security set so that you can't read from it, and even if you can, you'll get hex code, not readable source.

shlomo1234 likes this.
  3. shlomo1234

shlomo1234

Jun 20, 2016
    Thanks.
    So in that case, can I Program other Pic mcu with that hex file? download the file to make a copy one?

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    MPLAB will dissassemble the code if you can read it. Still not easy to follow, but at least you get instruction mnemonics instead of just hex code.

If you can read it, you will be able to program another PIC with the code. But, unless is the exact same part number, it may not work correctly.

Bob

shlomo1234 likes this.
  5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I guess that with Harvard architecture, this becomes somewhat easier.

6. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    IF the security bit IS NOT SET, you can download the code from the PIC using your PICkit 3. That's a crap shoot for a commercial product. Why wouldn't the manufacturer lock their code? I would if it were mine.

shlomo1234 likes this.
  7. Amar Dhore

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
    Yes, you can read it with PICKit 3 if its not protected. Give it a try. Go to the Mplab, create a test project (any random name project). Select a PIC that you want to read from. Instead of compile, click on a read option. It will ask you to save the file as hex. You can use it to program other devices as Bobk mentioned.

Ask a Question