Connect with us

Uphill or downhill angle sensor for car

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by arg733, Mar 12, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. arg733

arg733

Dec 14, 2010
    Hi.
    Is there a type of sensor that could sense the angle of the road and switch on leds. For example the road is 5% uphill switch a green led, if it's more than 10% , switch on a red led
    Thanks

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I used to use mercury switches for something like this, but with the technology nowadays,
    somebody here will probably give you a modern-day device.
    It would probably help if you specified how deeply you want to get into circuitry for this.
    I don't know if you want simple, or want to tie this into some other more complex system.

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Mercury switches are still commonly used especially in car alarms, not environmentally friendly, but they work very well and are dirt cheap...

You can get a 5 lot of them delivered for under $4 on Ebay, or a 10 lot delivered for under $5...

4. arg733

arg733

Dec 14, 2010
    A friend also told me to use mercury switches but i was hoping for something more neat like a little ic that will do the work. I originally thought that the new touch cell phones have the sensor i need but after reading i realized they actually measure acceleration.

Edit: also if i accelerate the mercury switch would trigger and i don't want that.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Only a gyro would be able to distinguish acceleration from tilt (rotation).

Bob

6. arg733

arg733

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks for the idea, i searched for electronic gyros :cool: and found some, but i have absolutely no idea how to use them, would this or this work? and if yes how

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    My last post was about the sum of my knowledge of this, but I think you need need both accelerometers and gyros to really determine the orientiation of something that might be accelerating.

Bob

8. sirch

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
    A gyro will give you the rate of rotation so it is ok if the car is rotating from horizontal to sloping. An accelerometer will give you the acceleration due to gravity and hence can be used for tilt (this is how the spirit level apps work for smart phones). To be able to separate downhill from uphill, you would need two accelerometers, but since single chip 3 axis accelerometers are common this isn't really an issue.

9. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    But the accelerometers will also register acceleration, which the OP said he wanted to eliminate.

Bob

10. sirch

sirch

Dec 6, 2012
    yes, but with a three axes accelerometer I think it would be possible to resolve tilt from other accelerations (assuming the tilt duration is sufficiently long).

Obviously gyros plus accelerometers are the best way of doing it

11. arg733

arg733

Dec 14, 2010
    ok so i need something like THIS ? (3axis). By the looks of it i'm not going to be able to make it work without a pic

Ask a Question