Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Upgraded charge controller but battery not charging

VictorAdebayo

Dec 14, 2020
I am just a new solar user. I have a 150 watts panel connected to a 20 amp controller and a 200ah 12 volt battery. Now I decided to replace the controller with a Suoer 30amp type. The result is very low amp but normal voltage from panel. My intention is to also add another panel before raining season but I am having challenge with this upgrade. Any suggestions to help out as the battery is going down daily. Here is sunny and the controller replaced used to charge the battery.

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
You won't get much charge current if the battery is already charged. And I can't say FLATTEN IT FIRST and then check, because it will take ages to bring it up again with a small panel. I have currently four panels in use, each charging a separate battery. Then I connect the four systems with diodes. You have to make sure you don't run your battery down too low by taking more out than you put in. My regulators are homespun. I settled on a 24 volt system after two or three years on 12 volts. I have lots of 12 volt regulators and 220 volt inverters in use. The inverters cut out with low voltage so you need to keep it up. Also you need to keep the panels clean - I have mine horizontal and just above head height. They get a layer of dust that has to be mopped off with a foam-rubber sponge on a long handle. Sometimes weekly. I couldn't do that if I had them on my roof.
I haven't yet come up with a sensible solution for preventing hail damage. I bought one hail damaged panel from the tip, it was still producing voltage but failed in a short time.
Where I am close to the Australian East Coast on the Tropic of Capricorn, I get better results in Winter than in Summer. We have more clouds in Summer.
If you want to run a refrigerator you need a bigger system. I collected several Peltier effect fridges from the Tip, they need to be run continuously to be of much use, as they take a couple of days to get cold enough. If you have to switch off the fridge at night, they won't be a complete success. With my four panels I run the fridge through the day ONLY. I ended up with an 80 litre camping fridge, chest type, 12 .24 240 volt. The brand is "Ice Cube". I will probably need about 10 panels to run it continuously.. I do have the panels but haven't had the time to make up a structure to support them.

What appliances are you running?

VictorAdebayo

Dec 14, 2020
You won't get much charge current if the battery is already charged. And I can't say FLATTEN IT FIRST and then check, because it will take ages to bring it up again with a small panel. I have currently four panels in use, each charging a separate battery. Then I connect the four systems with diodes. You have to make sure you don't run your battery down too low by taking more out than you put in. My regulators are homespun. I settled on a 24 volt system after two or three years on 12 volts. I have lots of 12 volt regulators and 220 volt inverters in use. The inverters cut out with low voltage so you need to keep it up. Also you need to keep the panels clean - I have mine horizontal and just above head height. They get a layer of dust that has to be mopped off with a foam-rubber sponge on a long handle. Sometimes weekly. I couldn't do that if I had them on my roof.
I haven't yet come up with a sensible solution for preventing hail damage. I bought one hail damaged panel from the tip, it was still producing voltage but failed in a short time.
Where I am close to the Australian East Coast on the Tropic of Capricorn, I get better results in Winter than in Summer. We have more clouds in Summer.
If you want to run a refrigerator you need a bigger system. I collected several Peltier effect fridges from the Tip, they need to be run continuously to be of much use, as they take a couple of days to get cold enough. If you have to switch off the fridge at night, they won't be a complete success. With my four panels I run the fridge through the day ONLY. I ended up with an 80 litre camping fridge, chest type, 12 .24 240 volt. The brand is "Ice Cube". I will probably need about 10 panels to run it continuously.. I do have the panels but haven't had the time to make up a structure to support them.

What appliances are you running?
Thank you for the information. I just ordered for another brand of charge controller and the result is now awesome. What I use my system for is just for phone charging,light in the night and few hours on a small TV most in daytime.