Connect with us

unregulated wall-wart

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Shane Kirkman, Sep 8, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. How can I regulate a unregulated wall-wart i.e.:3.7v stated 8.2v measured.

    Thanks Shane.
  2. You should measure the voltage with some load. A transformer will read
    somewhat high unless it has a load attached. However, 8.2 is very high for a
    3.7V output wart.

    There are regulator ICs you can buy from various sources (in the US, the
    ubiquitous radio shack) to regulate an unregulated DC down to a regulated,
    lower (usually about 3 volts lower) DC voltage. The famous 78xx series will
    give you a regulated voltage given that higher voltage and ground. The xx
    stands for the output voltage you'll get. In the US, they are a couple of
    dollars max.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day