Connect with us

Unknown component

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by William Howell, Apr 28, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. William Howell

William Howell

Apr 28, 2018
    Hello everyone, I just got my hands on a new component, and I have no idea what it is or does. A friend of mine gave it to me, and I've tried everything to look it up, and I can't find anything on it anywhere. I even tried doing a Google image search for it.

All I know is that it is manufactured by Leden Inc in Vandalia Ohio. The code identification number is 01840. Hopefully someone can help me. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    The company name is Ledex, NOT Leden. They are a world-famous manufacturer of solenoids, located in Vandalia, OH, a northern suburb of Dayton near Dayton International Airport. I used to live in Dayton and once interviewed for a job at Ledex.

Yours is missing the solenoid actuator, a ferromagnetic rod that is inserted in the core. When current is applied, the actuator retracts into the core. More information can be found in this PDF file.

Ledex also manufactures rotary solenoids. A rotary solenoid uses a spring-loaded disk that rotates about a shaft that is capable of a limited axial movement. The disk is equipped with ball bearings (usually three) inserted in recessed ramps located on the periphery of the disk. When the solenoid winding is energized, the disk is attracted to it but, because of the ramps, the disk also rotates through a limited arc as it moves axially towards the solenoid coil. The disk is spring-loaded on the shaft, so when the solenoid winding is de-energized the disk pops up and rotates back to its initial position. Rotary solenoids are very useful because considerable torque over a limited rotational distance can be achieved.

darren adcock likes this.
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Nice, haven't seen one of them before

4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Seen those as fuel shut-off in carburetors for small engines/mowers/karts/scooters...

5. bushtech

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
    Also used as gas control in gas geysers

6. William Howell

William Howell

Apr 28, 2018
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate it

Ask a Question