Connect with us

Unknown component called "SG"

Discussion in 'Electronic Components' started by Leo Meyer, Mar 21, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Leo Meyer

    Leo Meyer Guest

    I came across several small, ceramic capacitor-like components today, though
    they would make rather obese C's ;-) Their labels read "1kV", and they sit
    on a CRT board from a small monitor right next to the tube socket. The
    identifier printed on the PCB is "SG".
    Does anybody know what these components are and whether they're worth
    unsoldering? Maybe a kind of surge suppressor?

    Thanks and regards, Leo
  2. James Beck

    James Beck Guest

    Spark Gap

    A kind of high voltage spike supressor.
  3. Graham W

    Graham W Guest

    Look for a narrow saw cut which is the actual gap.
    If there isn't one, it is possibly an HV capacitor.

  4. The SG stands for Spark Gap. Makes sense once you read the 1kV, eh?
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day