Connect with us

Universal Voltage support for Panasonic Cordless phones

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by consumer, Dec 19, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. consumer

    consumer Guest


    I recently bought Panasonic KX-TG5776 cordless phone, I want to take
    this to India where voltage is 220V. Can someone know would it work
    there, or should I return it. In case I need to buy any additional
    thing to make it work then pls lemme know that too

  2. India is 230 V 50 Hz. You need a 230 to 115 V transformer. Make sure it is
    50 cycle rated. I got mine at Rite Aid.

    You may need adaptors for their phone sockets. See for more.
  3. Morse

    Morse Guest

    You don't say where in the world you are now?!

    If you live in one of the majority of the regions of the world where the
    mains voltage is 220-240V, (Europe, Africa, Australasia, most of Asia etc)
    the phone will be fine, nothing needs to be done as far as the mains supply
    is concerned.

    If you live in a region which uses 110-120V (North America for example) or
    somewhere like Japan (two different voltages depending on region) then
    you'll need a step down transformer to use it on 220-240V.

    It's possible the phone can be modified to run on a different voltage,
    (rewire dual primary transformer if used) but an electronics engineer would
    need to take a look at it to verify this if it doesn't have a voltage
    selector switch.

  4. consumer

    consumer Guest

    I am currently in US and want to take it to India and wanna know if it
    would be as simple as taking a step down adapter ?
  5. trillium

    trillium Guest

    Sure, step down is fine; but that's a little expensive, like maybe
    $20-$30; and don't get the Radio Shack one, it's unreliable in my
    humble experience.

    May be cheaper to get another brick, that runs already off 220VAC and
    has about the same voltage (i.e. +- 30%); doesn't ned to be exact, the
    phone expects unregulated power; you may have one from other stuff, I
    have a box of 'em... Make sure the polarity of the plug is the same

    If you want to get cute, open up the brick and verify there's nothing
    more than a full wave rectifier (besides the transformer and maybe a
    capacitor); if yes, turn it into a half wave rectifier and you can
    power it from 220AC. You still need some gizmo so you can physically
    plug it in. There's a small chance the primary is designed so much to
    the limit it may overheat, but that's very unlikely; most times the
    wire there is at least twice as big as it needs to.
  6. Yes.
  7. It's probably illegal in India because it operates on the 5,8gHz band.
    Check before you waste your time and money and get into trouble in customs,

    What you really want is a 1.8gHz DECT phone. 2.4 gHz DCT phones sold in the
    U.S. should be ok, but if you or your neighbors have a wireless network,
    they may interfere with each other. Make sure it is marked that it won't.

  8. Morse

    Morse Guest

    Erm, no you can't. The type of rectifier is irrelevent, if you connect a
    transformer with a 110V primary to a 220V supply it will be toast in
    seconds. It probably won't even get a chance to damage the phone before the
    primary blows open circuit.

    The advice concerning the rectifier is also bogus- apart from anything else
    the smoothing cap would need to be uprated as it would be smoothing half
    wave rectified DC.
    Is this a wind up? It is virtually guaranteed to destroy the transformer!
    You are perhaps thinking of 50Hz/60Hz mains frequency differences which some
    transformers will handle OK. This is certainly not true where a 100%
    increase in mains voltage is concerned- the transformer will melt or go pop,
    simple as that.

  9. Morse

    Morse Guest

    Yes, get a step down adapter.

    However, to avoid breaking Indian telecommunications laws, check it is legal
    to use there beforehand.

    You might be better off selling it or giving it to a friend and buying a new
    one in India.

  10. Does a plain old (wired) US pulse/tone phone work anywhere in the world?
    Do all phone systems use the same on-hook ring voltage/frequency and
    off-hook voltage?
  11. No. Tone is OK, but other countries use different pulse sequences. You'd
    need to glue new numbers on for pulse dialing.
    Pretty much. I'm unaware of any differences
  12. JANA

    JANA Guest

    You will need a 220 Volt to 120 Volt 50 Hz transformer. Before going the
    trouble and the expense to get a transformer, make sure that the phone is
    compatible to the phone system in India.




    I recently bought Panasonic KX-TG5776 cordless phone, I want to take
    this to India where voltage is 220V. Can someone know would it work
    there, or should I return it. In case I need to buy any additional
    thing to make it work then pls lemme know that too

  13. No. Some countries no longer support pulse dialing, for example, Israel.

    Most countries use a two wire system, the UK uses a three wire (seperate
    ring) system. Ironicly, many of the newer UK instalations are two wire
    to the home, and then split off into a three wire system where they enter
    the home.

    AFAIK, a two wire tone telephone will make outgoing calls in the UK,
    with the correct wiring. It is not the same as the U.S. Israel uses
    the same plug as the UK, but with a two wire system wired like the U.S.

    Touch tones are a world standard.

    Plugs vary around the world at the wall side. The phone side is the same
    everywhere. Usually you can buy an adaptor or code locally.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day