Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Universal series motor reversal question

mooseboi

Nov 9, 2015
Hello all, i have been tinkering with some series universal motors out of a vacuum cleaner and circular saws and would like some insight into the mechanism that determines directionality of the motor. Unlike dc motors i have used in the past, changing the wiring to the armature in relation to the field windings does not cause the motor to run in reverse. Instead, these motors still run in the same direction, which implies the cause of directionality is independent of the wiring configuration. So my question is this: are the windings on the armature on these motors designed so that they will only go in one direction? If not, then what does cause this unidirectionality?

Thank you

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir mooseboi . . . . . .

Seems like you have the DC aspect mastered, but from the AC aspect:

Mechanically, if you are wanting a one time transition of motor run direction, if you have a symmetrical dual shaft motor you can reverse by merely dropping both end coverplates and inverting the rotor 180 degrees.
The same holds true on a single shaft motor if the motors frame and end plates are symmetrical . . . (can be swapped ).

NOW . . .from your AC attempts . . .you must have been swapping BOTH the field and armature windings, where you only need one of those windings being rotated.

Refer to this switchable rotation wiring.

V7WjZIx.png

73's de Edd

Last edited: