Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Universal CNC

Quwat

May 31, 2013
Hello everyone

I decided its about time I did a CNC based project. So recently I have done a lot of research and pulled together a little design.

If it works as well as I want it to I will be able to use it for:

# I’ll start with an Ink plotter: it would be cool to make a font of my own hand writing, then get it to write letters or something.

# Laser engraver: when an old DVD player turns up on freecycle

# PCB mill: set and forget easiest system for homebrew pcb

# Softwood mill: to make creepy wooden portraits of family for presents

# 3D printer: because everyone needs one ;)
Check out my idea’s so far here, tell me what you think I could do better. I want to send off for parts soon

4meX-7CtT5Tx5iPwHeB9gorblhSgVT107gpVKqKUA_vvF4HWaz2Ui4bqL9rElNqHQEGqUwHWFDlxX6gg34sGfnQJT7szlB-IQuwKYoWq7nmXQWkS6Arp5Uo6kA

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
ok my advice is jump on the reprap wiki and post some info there. they have a heap of forums too.
the software they supply as open source from Marlin through to teacup will be a great start as people use this for milling machines all ready.
I did see a model recently that attracted my attention
as you see it selects its own arms to make the whole process fully automated (also if anyone wants to buy me one I will be offering a empty can of redbull as trade as I am broke but would really love one in the shed lol)
also how are you going to etch PCB's? there are a thousand and one ideas out there for the right compound
oh and last but not least your up down axis needs improvement if you want to go 3d printing as you will only ever get half the height of the total height printed using the current design.

Quwat

May 31, 2013
I have already line up software with the help of the reprap wiki, its in the document.

Yeah that is an expensive looking piece of equipment.

How am I going to etch PCBs? What compound, do you mean copper etchant? Its cheaper to buy the control boards?

No I specifically designed it so I would get use of the full 200mms of lead screw. There is clearance from the top brace and the picture shows the lowest point, like 10mm from the moving bed.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
ok so there are copper pens (THEY SUCK MORE THAN THE VACCUUM OF SPACE but can be used for this) there are also people developing conductive inks that you could use for making PCB's
and as for that 200mm lead screw.. that's great and all but that makes the overall height at least 400.... My prusa is bout 500mm high and I get about 400mm space to print. when it comes to printers try not to take up too much room. the more compact the better.
now if you could use that arm Idea from the link I shared then you would have a buyer here. I am seriousing trying to figure out how to make a machine that I can just click print and come back to a prototype in a day..... then I will name it Jarvis and make Iron men... sorry got side tracked. but in all seriousness I really like the idea of what you intend to do the Z axis is all I will modify if yours gets up and running.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
How am I going to etch PCBs? What compound, do you mean copper etchant? Its cheaper to buy the control boards?

If you want to "etch" per se, then I recommend ferric chloride as simple, works well, and is widely used. There are several other compounds that can be used. Rather than open yet another discussion of them, just search in this forum for the past week or so or on Google.

If you want to print the circuits as donkey assumed, then consider a silver ink based on the old Tollen's reaction. I summarized a recent variation of it here: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/blog-entries/recipe-for-conductive-silver-ink.731/

I have not tried that ink myself, but I have done the Tollen's reaction. The new variation appeals to me.

John

Quwat

May 31, 2013
Thanks for the link for the silver ink, I have looked that up previously but didn't find much. I hope to give that a go one day, even though that's not what I was trying to get into right now.