Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unified power source

staylor97_

Oct 18, 2018
Hi, how do i get a constant dc output voltage from an ac voltage input? ac input to a dual polarity dc output required. i am doing a project that will be a unified power source to include a socket, usb connections, nightlight and a light switch all in one.

file attached is an incomplete circuit..

upload_2018-10-24_13-4-33.png

https://imgur.com/a/A0gyfGH

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Half wave rectified AC is harder to filter than full wave rectified AC.

Use either/both larger filter capacitors and regulators on the output.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
What you have drawn so far isn't even a good start. It also doesn't explain why you would need a dual polarity dc output for a socket (presume you mean an AC outlet), USB, a nightlight, or a switch.

It's generally a good idea to become competent at this level of circuitry using low voltage DC projects before advancing on to things like this, mains powered, into a wall box in a home. Your insurance wouldn't cover this if it burns the house down.

How about just adding a 2nd wall box and buying ready-made wall outlet with USB outlets integrated for one box, and a ready made lit switch for the other? That will also be a lot easier to service (whether it be by yourself or someone else who has no idea what you've crammed in that wall box) in the event that either fails later.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi, how do i get a constant dc output voltage from an ac voltage input? ac input to a dual polarity dc output required.

Your circuit isn't going to achieve that

i am doing a project that will be a unified power source to include a socket, usb connections, nightlight and a light switch all in one.

I have no idea what a unified power source is ????

file attached is an incomplete circuit..

very incomplete

firstly, to generate a dual polarity DC supply you need a centre zero tapped transformer

here's the basics of a dual rail PSU

upload_2018-10-24_13-10-29.png

Dave