Connect with us

Unified power source

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by staylor97_, Oct 23, 2018.

1. staylor97_

staylor97_

Oct 18, 2018
    Hi, how do i get a constant dc output voltage from an ac voltage input? ac input to a dual polarity dc output required. i am doing a project that will be a unified power source to include a socket, usb connections, nightlight and a light switch all in one.

file attached is an incomplete circuit..

upload_2018-10-24_13-4-33.png

https://imgur.com/a/A0gyfGH

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Half wave rectified AC is harder to filter than full wave rectified AC.

Use either/both larger filter capacitors and regulators on the output.

3. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    What you have drawn so far isn't even a good start. It also doesn't explain why you would need a dual polarity dc output for a socket (presume you mean an AC outlet), USB, a nightlight, or a switch.

It's generally a good idea to become competent at this level of circuitry using low voltage DC projects before advancing on to things like this, mains powered, into a wall box in a home. Your insurance wouldn't cover this if it burns the house down.

How about just adding a 2nd wall box and buying ready-made wall outlet with USB outlets integrated for one box, and a ready made lit switch for the other? That will also be a lot easier to service (whether it be by yourself or someone else who has no idea what you've crammed in that wall box) in the event that either fails later.

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

Your circuit isn't going to achieve that

I have no idea what a unified power source is ????

very incomplete

firstly, to generate a dual polarity DC supply you need a centre zero tapped transformer

here's the basics of a dual rail PSU

upload_2018-10-24_13-10-29.png

Dave

Ask a Question