Connect with us

Underwater Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ryan Bush, Feb 14, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ryan Bush

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
    I have a small welded grid made of standard steel rebar that I want to submerge in the ocean (I live on the coast) and apply a VERY low electric current to.

The current has to be 50 amp / 12 v or less. Would I use an anode rod? Would it be easiest to use a portable generator or a cord to an outlet? How could I make it waterproof? Any insight would be extremely helpful!!!

Thanks,
    Ryan

[email protected]

Attached Files:

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Cathodic protection is a rather involved and expensive arrangement especially when one starts running zinc anodes.

50 amp is not a "very low" current in any way or form.

Forget portable generators, bad idea.

davenn and Ryan Bush like this.
  3. Ryan Bush

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
    Thank you! I'm completely clueless, evidently, and I'm trying to replicate this process at home.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biorock

Do you think this is feasible? The current has to initiates an electrolytic reaction, I'm just following what I can find online. Would this device create an electrolytic reaction? https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Reaction-Reloaded-Shocking-Game/dp/B0006B2Q50

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    agreed, that's 600W of power, ..... hope you have a zillion$$ bank account to pay the power bill

dunno where you got the 50 Amps from ? didn't notice it in your first link

5. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    No.
    "Requires 3 AAA batteries – NOT INCLUDED. "
    Plus I'm assuming it's output is ac, not controlled, no feedback, etc etc.

I hinted before at where you might find more information about this, but I guess you missed it.
    Look for anything on Cathodic Protection, especially with respect to impurities in iron/steel and the like.

6. Ryan Bush

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017

Don't know where that 50 amps came from either! I spoke with my friend and he says the lower the amps the better. . .

7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Then save yourself a lot of trouble by using 0 Amps.

Bob

8. Ryan Bush

Ryan Bush

Feb 14, 2017
    I am admittedly clueless about this and trying my best to learn.

I don't even know the difference between volts and amps! I've attached an image that illustrates the structure I want to create, any insight you can provide to someone with ZERO electronics knowledge would be great! If not, is there a better place online to ask my questions?

Attached Files:

9. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Posting a link or 2 to your references might get a bit more assistance.
    Current illustrations are rather vague especially since you are requiring technical assistance.

Ask a Question