Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Understanding A Datasheet

Akshatha Venkatesh

Jan 14, 2017
http://assets.nexperia.com/documents/data-sheet/PEMD2_PIMD2_PUMD2.pdf

Can anyone help me understand a datasheet?
In page 7 of the datasheet above , the characteristics have been given.Each parameter has a certain condition associated with it. What significance does this condition hold when I'm trying to calculate the voltages and current flowing in a circuit which has the above component. For example, the on state input voltage is given to be 2.5 min and 1.7 typ at Vce = 0.3 V and Ic=5mA.
What I understand from the above is that for the transistor to be fully turned on , to go into saturation the input voltage has to be 1.7V and the drop across the transistor will be 0.3V (Vce) but again there's another parameter called the Vce(sat) = 0.15V. So is the drop across the transistor when it is in saturation, 0.15 V or 0.3 V ?
Thank You.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
These transistors have a two-resistors voltage divider at the base.
The fairly low 0.15V saturated Vce is when the collector current is 10mA and the base current is 0.5mA (1/20th).
The higher 0.3V is when the collector current is 5mA and the input voltage is typically 1.7V but you must calculate the ratio of the base to collector currents, then you can compare it with the other one.