Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Unable to de-solder charging port from cell phone PCB ? please help ?

bindudhindsa

Apr 15, 2013
I am trying to desolder charging port from a cell phone. I am new in soldering techniques. I am trying to de-solder it with my soldering gun. Temp is 350-400 deg C. Even i tried it with flux paste and reapplied solder on it. Still I am unable to take it off from PCB. Please help

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Watch some videos on Youtube on how to desolder, it's a skill and you have to learn the technique...

bindudhindsa

Apr 15, 2013
Thanks for your reply, i tried it from youtube videos first, i would like to learn the basic of soldering. I learnt a lot from youtube and was able to finish some jobs. But i had really hard time to take it off from cell phone PCB. Could you please let me know what should be the recommended temp and if we can use anything else to remove it from PCB

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Could you please let me know what should be the recommended temp and if we can use anything else to remove it from PCB

There is no single right way to do it, you have to develop a technique that works for you... Your temp range is acceptable for lead free solder, I would drop it down for lead solder... But, it's still on the hot side and you will have to be careful as to not damage the board with excess heat...

I have no idea how the socket is mounted so I can't tell you how I would approach it, but I suspect I would be using a hot air rework station, or I might use an iron and a big blob of solder... It all depends on the particular job, and is based on my experience at doing other jobs, knowing what works best for me...

ritter2009

Apr 14, 2013
You can also use some braided wick or heat up the solder and when it liquified spray it with a can of duster. Be careful not to get it in your eyes or on the other parts of the board. Where eye protection.