Connect with us

Ultrasound Piezoelectric Transducer: Longitudinal or Transverse waves?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ipduo, Aug 3, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ipduo


    Jul 28, 2010

    This is probably a silly question but I can't find a simple answer on the web so...

    Obviously ultrasound relies upon very high frequency sound waves, but are they transverse (shear) waves or longitudinal, or something more complex. Additionally, do the trandsucer make a difference (the one I'm currently interested in is a Piezoelectric device). Does the vibrating membrane mean it's longitudinal?

  2. Resqueline


    Jul 31, 2009
    I guess it depends on how the piezo"crystal" itself is made.
    The brass speaker/beeper disks supposedly bends into a saucer-shape. I don't know what to call that kind of force but I figure it can't be called transverse or longitudinal.
    The piezo-igniter in cigarette-lighters uses longitudinal (compression) forces to generate the spark. Echosounders (fish-finders) also use longitudinal waves.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day