Connect with us

Ultrasound driver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by John Phillips, Aug 15, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. John Phillips

John Phillips

Aug 15, 2015
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum so please be kind.
    I'm looking to build a driver for 90 3watt 1.7Mhz piezo transducers.
    Any help would be good.
    At first I had thought it would be easy. Like just get a simple frequency generator add a power amp and it would work.
    OK so I'm niev.

Thanks for the help.

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    To get maximum output from a piezo it needs to be driven at its resonant frequency. That frequency may not be constant if the loading on the piezo varies. Therefore, a standard way to drive a piezo is to make it a frequency-controlling part of a self-resonant circuit. Google should find you various schematics for such circuits.

John Phillips likes this.
  3. John Phillips

John Phillips

Aug 15, 2015
    Wow.
    That was quick. Thank you very much. I'll look for them in the morning. Can you explain what a self resonant circuit is? Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    In the present context it's an oscillator which drives the piezo and has positive feedback (to maintain oscillation) obtained by sampling the current through, or oscillation amplitude of, the piezo.
    See, for example, Fig 9 of this article.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
Ask a Question