Connect with us

Ultrasonic Sensor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by jio, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jio

jio

Jun 14, 2012
    I am designing an obstacle avoidance system for toy car. using an ultrasonic transceiver-receiver. I have attached the datasheet of the module i bought. however, I am having difficulties making it transmit anything. I think it should be triggered by a 5us impulse.
    Any idea how to do this and how to make it run continuously?
    I don't want to use a micro controller.

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    That is what the datasheet suggest, send a 5µs pulse, wait about 200µs and it should return a high signal, measure the duration of that high signal and convert that to the distance..

As soon as you get the resulting distance from the first pulse, send another 5µs pulse and repeat forever...

You have to measure the returned pulse duration somehow to get you reading, what do you plan to use?

3. jio

jio

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for your help
    I was asking how to generate the 5µs pulse. Can a monostable handle such a short time ?
    As for signal processing, i am planning yo use an integrator followed by a comparator since i don't need the exact distance.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    My guess it that it's likely not that touchy, any short high pulse will likely trigger it... But, that is just a guess, it might be very touchy... I don't have much experience with this version, I have always used the ones that return serial data...

Well the higher the precision the better or at least more logical avoidance... A small error in the reading could find the car avoiding an object when it's only a few centimeters away while at the same time a small error in the other direction could find it avoiding objects a few meters away...

Ask a Question