Connect with us

Ultra Sonic Transducer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Pebo, May 11, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Pebo

Pebo

May 11, 2010
    This is a bit off the beaten path and I am not electronics savy. I am trying to determine
    if there is anyone out there that may have knowledge of a specific application of using
    an ultra sonic transducer to kill algae.
    I have a Koi pond and like most pond folks we love clear water to watch these fish. Due
    to the fish nutrient cycle we all deal with algae blooms and green water. Most back yard
    ponds use a pump to circulate water through various filtration devices.
    My thinking is that pond water passing through a device with an ultra sonic transducer
    emitting sound of a certain frequency and amplitude could be made to damage the cell wall of algae thus killing it. I know that ultra sound has applications in industrial cleaning
    processes. Normally algae is controlled passing the pond water through a chamber with a low pressure UV light inside.
    Any thoughts?

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I haven't heard about it before but It's an interesting thought. My immediate concern would be how to isolate the ultrasound from the fish.
    It might be damped enough to not harm them but I wouldn't be certain it wouldn't stress them in any way.
    I'd figure the ultrasound would have to be quite powerful to kill the algae, and sound travels easily in water.
    Ultrasound is also used in some humidifiers, dispersing water as foglike minute droplets in the air.

3. 55pilot

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
    With no scientific basis, just a gut feeling, I would opine that it is unlikely that you can kill the algae using ultrasound. Even if you are successful, what will happen to the dead algae? You will still need to filter the water.

In industrial cleaning applications, ultrasound is used as a substitute for manual agitation. The "dirt" is shaken off the item being cleaned. It only works if the dirt is attached fairly loosely. I do not think the experience is transferable.

---55p

4. Pebo

Pebo

May 11, 2010
    Sonic Solutions markets a device for this application. No technical specs are provided other than power requirements. I would locate the transducer in a seperate tank that
    the pond water flows through.

Ask a Question