Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Uln2003 Stepper motor controller help

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
So do you think it will drive a uln2003
Yes I do.
LOL! Yes ENNS, that should certainly do it!

<snip>But I should also WARN you, CNC has proven very addictive for me ;-) I have a small format (9in x 11in x 3in) CNC router <snip>
Fish

Ha! That's why I resist going there. I'm easily addicted to things I like. That's why I've never considered CNC-ing my woodworking or machine shop machines. When I step into that shop I want to step back in time and do things the way my Dad and Grandfather did it. That's why my two prime heavy machines are antiques and some of my hand tools date back to the 18th century.

I think that all techies should have a place to go that's nearly devoid of modern technology.

Chris

Enns

Sep 8, 2013
How would I do that, I'm clueless( about driving the uln2003)

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
That is so cool, I am so excited that you are helping me and could get me a schematic? And will the board improve the controls better than just a parelell port?

The breakout board you listed is exactly that, a breakout board. There is very little documentation posted about it, but I ASSUME since it comes with a CD that it has a driver. How flexible the driver is, is anyone's guess, but I would ASSUME that it will at the very least give you some type of Windows based interface to work with. Will it have a gcode processor? Will the driver work with Mach3? I can't answer these questions, but I am going to PM you a link to a place where I am certain those and other questions can be answered.

**Side Note** I ordered one of those drivers I linked in my last post. In theory it will be here in a week or two. I will let you know what I think of it after it arrives. I really don't have any use for it (I have prolly half a dozen drivers I am currently not using, but for $11 I figured, "What the heck!".) **/Side Note**

Check your PM in a few minutes.

Fish

Enns

Sep 8, 2013
Thank u so much! And could u give me a link of how to wire the uln2003

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
The ULN2003 has integral base resistors so you should be able to hook its inputs directly to your controller's outputs. Like this..

Chris

Attachments

• ULN2003intface.JPG
    ULN2003intface.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 205

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
The breakout board you listed is exactly that, a breakout board. Fish

Actually it's not. It's a Breakout Board / Interface but it's far more of an interface than a breakout board. The distinction is that breakout boards are nothing more than access points usually inserted in a cable line to gain access to individual conductors. This product is far more than that.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Thank you so much Chris!

Josh, you're quite welcome. When you receive the board please post whatever data comes with it. I will then be able to draw a complete schematic for you.

Cheers!

Chris

Enns

Sep 8, 2013
Cool, I will try to find some specs before i get it, I'll do that leader because I'm in the middle of social studies class on my mobile

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Cool, I will try to find some specs before i get it, I'll do that leader because I'm in the middle of social studies class on my mobile

Normally I'd go into my old fart rant telling you that you shouldn't be texting in class. In this case though you're not texting mindless drivel, so I really do understand. I can remember when I was young and was so excited over my projects that I could barely sleep, no less study none electronics subject matter.

Chris

Enns

Sep 8, 2013
It was only the second day of school for us canadians so we got to do whatever we wanted

Fish4Fun

Aug 27, 2013
LOL @ Chris ==>
I can remember when I was young and was so excited over my projects that I could barely sleep, no less study none electronics subject matter.

Yes, from 8-13 and 19-2x I am 100% with you, but (sadly?) there was a period in there where my main distraction was not electronics,

Yes, I have a manual mill and small lathe along with the other various machines one needs to work metal, and I do love the solitude there, but you should really consider a small format CNC router. The first time you watch it run will be like the best Christmas morning in your memory palace :) . Like most things worth doing, the devil is in the details, and it is an arduous task to "get up to speed", but watching your first part appear from the stock is perhaps as magical as watching Michael Angelo's David appear from a rough hewn block of marble might have been.

One of the first things I made was a set of spur-gears from 1/4" MDF. No particular reason or purpose, just wanted to explore what the machine could do (and how to get the machine to do it, lol.) I have made spur-gears from steel/aluminum/plastic using gear cutters, but this was very different, exciting and immensely satisfying (and of course almost pointless, hehe). I primarily use my CNC router for prototype PCBs and small mold making, though I do occasional projects in wood. While I never want to give up a single tool (and I have a lot, lol), I would put my little CNC router very high on the list of tools to keep. @ 50 years old, I have been fascinated with CNC for 3 decades, but I did not actually get one until a few years ago. It has been an amazing experience!

Fish

Enns

Sep 8, 2013
Do you guys know were I can buy around 5 unl2003's with very low shipping cost?

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Do you guys know were I can buy around 5 unl2003's with very low shipping cost?

Sadly, I think the only way you can escape the painful shipping cost is to buy in bulk from a seller that will absorb shipping costs for the benefits of a large order. I don't think that's a solution for a young buck like you though.

Hey, hit Dad up for it! ;)

BTW, shipping cost is now a compound issue. In the past I could weigh the cost of shipping against local sales tax if I purchased locally. Now the Feds have granted out of state sales tax for mail order sales. So you can be hit with the shipping and that State's sales tax! Grrrrrrr!

Have you checked ebay direct from China?

Chris

Enns

Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys, I have a question. Could you possibly pm me a link or a picture o the Pinot on a small stepper motor on the DVD rom. Also can you tell me how to hook up the uln2003 to the breakout board and the stepped motor to the uln2003?

Fish4Fun

Aug 27, 2013
@Enns==> One of my concerns from the beginning has been that it appears from the picture you have bipolar steppers. The ULN2003 driver is for unipolar steppers. Before you go any further you should REALLY verify the type of steppers you have.

Fish

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
How do you think I should do it I'd it is unipolar

Are you sure? A Bipolar will have 4 leads. A Unipolar will have 5 or 6 leads. I googled CDROM steppers and saw many Bipolar models.

Chris

Edit: If you have Bipolar models you'll need an H-Bridge to reverse them. The ULN2003 can't be H-Bridge configured.

Oops, I see only 4 conductors in your photo! Did the CDROM driver in the PC's have an H-Bridge chip you could cannibalize? If not you can find them in VCR's, if you can find any..

Last edited: