Connect with us

UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by N Cook, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Ah, SRBP (Something Resin Bonded Paper) board! Now I remember! Some of the
    items I listed (Veroboard, Tripad, VQ) are "SRPB Copper Matrix board" for
    their generic name.
  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    AVO refers to a range of products, but has come to be generically used
    for an analogue meter by some people.

    Like "I googled it ..." and many other examples.
    Not to be confused with historical UK "GPO": General Post Office (Now
    Royal Mail/Post Office Counters Ltd/British Telecom separate entities)
  3. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Could someone tell me what "decals" translate as ?
    Logos, legends, labels, overlays, printing?
  4. Ron(UK)

    Ron(UK) Guest

    If you are refering to the waterslide stickers used on model kits and
    the like, here in britain they are called transfers. Adhesive backed
    ones are called stickers or decals. (from Decalomania I believe)

  5. Haggis

    Haggis Guest

    Transfers? (that's what they were known as in the UK 40 years ago, but times
    change) :).

  6. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    perhaps stickers or even signs
  7. Ray L. Volts

    Ray L. Volts Guest

    For model kits:
    The moisture-activated ones are "waterslide decals" or simply decals in the
    If they are the kind one burnishes on, we know them as "dry transfers".
    No idea why we don't call them dry decals, but I never hear that term here.

    For other uses:
    General-purpose, self-adhesive (peel-back) ones are most often called
    For sports helmets (and other equipment), the stickers are usually referred
    to as decals.
    Iron-ons are generally called transfers.
    The only other moisture-activated types I know of are postal stamps (older)
    and temporary tattoos (there's even a special inkjet paper for this).
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day