Connect with us

UK / USA Tool Terminology Translator

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by N Cook, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Another related file is
    abbreviations as found in audio and video repair manuals
  2. Ray L. Volts

    Ray L. Volts Guest

    We refer to the pins/receptacles, w/o regard to the casing/housing.
    If it has a pin, it's male. If it has a hole the pin goes into, it's
    A good example of this is the F connector. The housing with the hole
    (external threads) is male, while the female housing (internal threads) has
    the pin -- the one with the pin/wire is the male connector.

    If the connector has no "pins", but rather "tongues" or "fingers" (as with a
    Centronics parallel connector), the connector with the protruding fingers
    tab is male, the connector with the depression (receptacle) is female.

    Now, in the case of a connector which has both a pin and a hole (or
    multiples in various configurations), that's a tough call. Though uncommon,
    I have run into a few of these in the past. Maybe we could call that an
    ambiguous connector. ;)
    Anyone else have the correct terminology for this type?
    Yep. The notable exception being ac wall wiring -- we call that receptacle
    an outlet or socket. I never hear wall outlets referred to as jacks. Note
    that I said _wall_ wiring. If we are using an extension cord, any of the
    three terms will be used for the female end -- outlet, socket or jack.
    Strange, but true. Then again, I'm in Texas. There may be (probably will
    be) a difference of opinion up north in yank country. :)
  3. Ray L. Volts

    Ray L. Volts Guest

    ....have also seen it as IFBT = Integrated FlyBack Transformer
  4. Ray L. Volts

    Ray L. Volts Guest

    European-style terminal strip (distinguished from a regular terminal strip
    by its recessed screws)
    dunno which u had in mind, as they make a bunch of different types..
    I never hear it called that in the South; it's always an "ac adapter"
  5. You go by the pins. Unless, of course, it's an XLR LNE.
  6. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    Just as well big G didn't have this problem.
    hermaphroditic ?
  7. kip

    kip Guest

    best know as IHVT
  8. N Cook

    N Cook Guest

    These sorts of interboard cheap and cheerfull basic connectors
    often in reddish brown housings would generically be called "Harwin"
  9. Ray L. Volts

    Ray L. Volts Guest

    When I hear that, I have one of these in mind:

    The unusual type I referred to earlier actually had pins and holes on the
    same side, in a cylindrical housing. It's been so long since I've
    encountered them, I don't even remember what they were called.
  10. Dave D

    Dave D Guest

    It's not that simple. Billion did indeed mean a million million here in the
    UK years ago.

    Another case of differing measurements is US v UK gallons. A UK gallon =
    1.201 US gallons.

  11. Buddy Smith

    Buddy Smith Guest

    I believe this comes from the fact that a "US" pint is 2 cups, 16 oz,
    whereas an "imperial" pint is 20 oz. And the rest are the same (ie, 1
    quart is still 2 pints, one gallon is 4 quarts, etc).

    To the OP: I think you had "imperial" meaning "metric" in your list, but
    in the US, "imperial" means british, ie "imperial gallon" or "imperial
    pound" etc.


  12. Mark Zenier

    Mark Zenier Guest

    Vero board : perf board (often with no circuit traces), Vector board

    Million: Million
    Milliard: Billion (obselete)
    Billion: Trillion (obselete)

    Mark Zenier
    Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)
  13. Ray L. Volts

    Ray L. Volts Guest

    Here, they are widely known generically as "amp" (Tyco) connectors -- see
    the CST II housings in the link below.
    The 3-pin power connector is widely recognized simply as a pc fan connector.
    The 6-pin version is recognized as an AT-style motherboard power connector
    (2 per board).
  14. 4wd

    4wd Guest

    My vote is 'polarised', ('polarized' for yanks :)

    But of course that also covers male/female.

    Personally I'd lump the following together:

    UK & US -> imperial (linear measurements, ie. inches,feet,yards,miles)
    Rest of world -> Metric (except for some bastions of Imperial Colonisation)

  15. 4wd

    4wd Guest

    Wouldn't the AVO apply specifically to a product rather than any old
    analog meter?

    I ask because I do have an AVO here, (Australia - they are reasonably
    common), but general term is just an analog meter unless you get more
    SOP #1
    This would have to be another trade name, they're just tinsnips in Oz.
    GPO (general power outlet)
    Aren't these two different things?

    Here in Oz, Vero, (another trade name IIRC), board is matrix board with
    copper connection strips on one side.

    Whereas matrix board is Vero board without any copper at all, ie. just a
    board with holes :)
    Don't forget the standard user fault code: Eye-Dee-ten-Tee (ID10T)

    Yeah, I know - not UK : USA specifically but as a colonial I kind of
    fall under UK in a really, really good stretch of the imagination.

    AUS : USA

    shifter (shifting spanner) : adjustable wrench
    wheel nuts : lug nuts
    wheel brace : lug wrench

    Another fun one is 'Durex'

    AUS : NZ

    Durex (sticky tape) : condom (IIRC)

  16. Ross Herbert

    Ross Herbert Guest

    Polarised (polarized) connectors do not necessarily have a mix of both
    male and female terminals. A polarity concious connector might simply
    have a physical projection or spigot on the housing, or a special
    arrangement of terminals which makes it polarised (polarized). The
    correct term for mixed terminal connectors is 'hermaphroditic' as
    previously pointed out.

    When used for a permanent fixed ac electrical input the commonly
    accepted terminology for a connector with male pins is 'Appliance

    A cord ended connector with female pins used for supplying ac power
    would be an 'Extension Socket'.
  17. Ross Herbert

    Ross Herbert Guest

    Harwin is simply a connector manufacturer which started in the UK in
    1952 but I didn't come across their products in Australia until around

    The connectors you refer to in your link were originally made by Molex
    (US company started in 1938) and I first came across them in the 60's.
    and they were commonly referred to generically as Molex Connectors.
  18. John G

    John G Guest

    It is worse than that .
    The US has not started to get with it yet even though the law was passed
    back around 1890.

    The UK have made a token jesture to joining the rest of the world by
    buying litres of petrol (gasoline) to travel miles on their roads.
  19. 4wd

    4wd Guest

    Doesn't the US also sell petrol by the litre?

    I'm sure it did when I was there 2 years ago....or maybe I got so used
    to working out how much it cost per litre that I'm remembering it that

  20. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest

    Nope, it's gallons here, always has been. Canada sells it by the liter
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day