Connect with us

Uart communication

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by electronicsLearner77, Feb 27, 2017.

1. electronicsLearner77

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
    I have seen several instances where uart or serial communication is possible without max232 ic. How is it possible? This i have observed in pickit2 serial communication.

2. garublador

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
    UART is a logic level serial data transfer format. It's not intended to be transferred "long" distances over external cables. The MAX232 translates the logic level UART to the voltage levels used in the RS232 format. On the other side another MAX232 (or something similar) is used to convert the signals back to logic level UART. If you have two chips on the same board communicating through UART there's no need to translate them to another format and then back again.

electronicsLearner77 likes this.
  3. electronicsLearner77

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
    I have to convert to only max232 levels or any voltage levels will still work. Only for information.

4. garublador

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
    I'm not sure I understand the question. You need to convert (or not convert) the UART signals to whatever levels the opposite side of the communication channel expects. If it's another UART port on a different device on the same board using the same logic level then no translation is needed. If you're communicating with a serial port on a PC then you'll need to translate to RS232.

CDRIVE and Arouse1973 like this.
  5. electronicsLearner77

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
    Ok thanks i understand now.

6. Wilksey

Wilksey

Mar 3, 2010
    Actually, yes, you can, you can use transistors (Google is your friend), though, for reliability, data rate etc it is recommended to use something like the MAX232 with the correct charge pump and level translation facilities built in.

Ask a Question