Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Type of transformer for this converter

byazici

Nov 10, 2010
Hello poeple,

I have a question about transformers and any help would be appreciated.

I have AV Receiver that works on 110V and I have 220V in my house. I was told to get a step-down transformer to bring 220V to 110V and thats all right.

The question is which kind of transformer? I have heard about toroidal, R-core,C-core and laminated etc., but also heard that each has a different kind of disadvantage.

They say toroidal ones are sensitive and pull high-current at start-up. They say laminated ones are inefficient in comparison and are heavy...I'm lost here.

Thanks for any help.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Most often, you would go out and purchase a purpose made device. It will be enclosed and have the appropriate plug to connect to your mains, and a socket (often a US style socket) for 110V.

The most important thing is that you get a device that is rated for at least the power of the device you will be connecting (and preferably somewhat higher)

You could make one from a transformer, and frankly I wouldn't much be bothered about the type of transformer. The important thing are that the winding(s) have the correct voltages. Transformers used for doing this are typically auto-transformers with what is essentially a single tapped winding. They're somewhat of a speciality device and are thus likely to be more expensive than a device containing them!